Clement Kwan was born in China. He started drawing and painting at an early age. He had his art training through the Chinese government's fundamental art training programs in Guandong. He studied under and was influenced by Mian Situ (Mian was a fine art instructor in China and is now an established artist in the U.S.A).
Before immigrating to Canada in 1979, Clement worked for a stage production company, painting large background scenery pieces. Always striving to improve, Clement continues to pursue his goal of becoming a good fine artist by studying art books, visiting art shows, taking workshops, using DVDs and the internet and following advice from his mentor. He paints both landscapes and portraits in oils, acrylics and watercolors, combining impressionism with realism.
(PENINSULA GALLERY AT PENGAL.COM)
Salon International Exhibit, 2011
Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art (in San Antonio)
Clement is a member of the Island Illustrators Society of Victoria and is a signature member of the Federation of Canadian and is a signatory member of Oil Painters of America. Clement has had many paintings in a number of juried shows in Canada and the U.S.A., including the Salon International Exhibition each year since its inception. In 2008, Clement received an award from the Oil Painters of America.
(PENINSULA gallery at pengal.com)
Pow Wow Ladies
Pow Wow Girls
Preparing for the Festival
All Images from blog.daum.net
Clement Kwan's figurative paintings are filled with light, color, joy and movement. "I like my paintings to express happiness. I use my artistic skills to create paintings that will give people joy and hope... my tool for helping to make the world a better place."
(Artodyssey at artodyssey1.blogspot.com)
All images from liveinternet.ru
In Canada, Clement continues to pursue his goal of becoming a good fine artist. "For more than a decade, I have been going to a local art studio for weekly life drawings. Study from a life model improves my figurative works. I buy and study art books written by the current top artists, visit art shows, take workshops and follow the advice from my mentor, Mian Situ. In order to gain further knowledge, I am involved with art clubs. " Clement paints mainly in oils, combining impressionism with realism in his painting. He is a Signature Member of the Oil Painters of America and is a Senior Signature Member of the Federation of Canadian Artists. His paintings can be found in museums, private collections, in galleries in the United States, England and Canada.
(Artodyssey at artodyssey1.blogspot.com)
All Images from greenhousegallery.com
AWARDS AND EXHIBITIONS
– 2008 - Donor’s Award of Excellence, Oil Painters of America, National Juried Exhibition, USA
– 2008 - Best Portrait Merit Award, Salon International 2008, Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art, USA – 2007 - Jury’s Top Fifty, Salon International 2007, Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art, USA
– 2006 - Best of Show. Oil Painters of America. 2006 Western Regional Juried Exhibition. USA
– 2006 - Honorable mention award - FCA Victoria Chapter Spring Juried Show.
– 2006 - Jury’s Top Fifty, Salon International 2006, Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art. USA
– 2005 - Two Finalist Awards - 22nd Annual Artists Magazine Competition. USA
– 2005 - Second place - Spilsbury Medal Show - Gallery of the Federation of Canadian Artists
– 2005 - Best in Show Award - 3rd Annual Sidney Fine Art Show 2005.
– 2005 - Jurors' Choice Award - 3rd Annual Sidney Fine Art Show 2005.
– 2005 - Opus Art Prize Award - 3rd Annual Painting on the Edge International Exhibition, FCA Gallery Vancouver.
– 2005 - Jury’s Top Fifty. Salon International, International Museum of Contemporary Masters of Fine Art, Greenhouse Gallery, U.S.A.
– 2005 - Award for Outstanding Achievement - Island Perspective Exhibition - Nanaimo Art Gallery of British Columbia.
– 2005 - Honorable Mention Award - Federation of Canadian Artists. Victoria Chapter Juried Show. – 2004 - Alessandra Bitelli, SFCA Award, Gallery of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
– 2004 - Juror's Choice Award - Sooke Fine Arts Show.
– 2004 - Best on the Canvas Award - Sidney Fine Arts Show.
– 2004 - White Rock Summer School of the Arts Award, Gallery of the Federation of Canadian Artists.
– 2003 - Jury’s Top Fifty. Salon International, International Museum of Contemporary Masters of Fine Art, Greenhouse Gallery, U.S.A.
– 2003 - Peggy and Harry Evans Award and Peoples Choice Award, Gallery of Federation of Canadian Artists.
– 2002 - 1st Place, Acrylics, 19th Annual North American Miniature Exhibition.
– 2001 - Jurors Choice Award plus Peoples Choice Award, Sooke Fine Arts Show. (Greenhouse Gallery of Fine Art at greenhousegallery.com)